I Broke Sharn

Aug 12, 2017


Hi! It's been a while since my very last post so I decided to get back again despite having few visitors in this blog :( . A couple of months ago, I launched "Sharn" - my first ever open source project written in Crystal that tries to solve the problems I had with the Shards dependency manager.  Sort of Yarn for Crystal.

(Got noticed by senpai Serdar! wowwww) It was a rough start. It is easy to pseudocode it in my head but turns out to be very complicated to implement since all the things I wanted to happen doesn't do anything at all and second, it's my first time to code on a statically-typed/compiled language. The project I have done turned out to be very great until something happened last month. Last July, I was working on a new update to support adding developmentDependencies through the --dev flag. That was good now but the problem is the position of the devDep's data is in the bottom of the shard.yml file. So another complex thing happens, broke the project, and got accidentally pushed the broken code to the master branch.

Why is this a big deal?

Just to have something to post in this blog? Just kidding. The truth is, I just wanted to let you know that I'm giving up in this project but it doesn't mean Sharn is dead. I got the basic features working on it but was broken because of the incident happened. On the other hand, this is my own version that I pitched in Shard's repo issue and this might not be the better version of the feature currently being discussed. If you like what I did, feel free to fork the project, fix, optimize or whatever you wanna do with the code, and submit a pull request. That's all!

About the Author

I'm an 18-year old part-time freelance web developer from Davao City, Philippines. I also do graphic design and drawing during my free time. Currently studying ICT at Malayan Colleges Mindanao.